Sunday, December 04, 2011

My Bowerick Wowbanger homage... aka the wikipedia breadth-first read

I've been meaning to start this for quite a while now.

If you've read the Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy, you'll probably remember Wowbanger the Infintely prolonged who takes upon himself to insult every living being in alphabetical order just to keep himself busy?

Well, aside from the immortality, the need to keep myself busy and the insulting bits, this is my Wowbanger-esque project.

I've started reading the Wikipedia at the Computer Science page, and I aim to keep reading it in breadth-first fashion from that page onwards. I hope to read one page every day. Along the way, I'll track my course with a graphviz graph that will eventually be a map of the wikipedia subtree (subgraph?) that is rooted at "Computer Science". Simple rule for picking the next page to read: I'll pick the one that I know the least about.

I've also created a wikipedia account, should it come of use somehow. I'll look to see if I can fix simple typos and such - as they arise; and if there indeed are pages that are stubs that I can fill out, I'll try.

Why
Because one my (admittedly naive) goals in life when I was still studying was to "know everything there is to know about computers". A decade and a half later I still remember it, so it must mean something. I figure this is the least I can do :)

PS: Yes, I did think about what I'd do if a page I'd read already changes. I dunno. We'll see how it goes. Even Wowbanger did Arthur twice :)

1 comment:

Ben be Jammin said...

Its Wowbagger not "Wowbanger"