Wednesday, June 08, 2011

First time parents: an app rollout story

I've seen that teams involved with the first time rollout of an app are like first time parents. So pardon me while I mix more metaphors that are required to get the message across:
  • Its MY baby, so how can you possibly know whats right? I let you hold it; doesnt mean you can code to it in any way except MINE
  • If the baby cries, it must be a critical. Doesn't matter that you're an experienced parent who's seen this before on your App, and know it affects less than 1% of customers, and therefore will feely admit that while the issue is a critical, it need not be addressed NOW
  • Related: My baby's needs come FIRST. That means before anything else. Especially yours. Because I said so. So there.
  • My baby is special, so it needs to be eased very very gently into anything new - especially the big, bad world. Maybe we can get him out of the door an inch a time, so he'll be ok with it. Oh you just went ahead and threw yours in the pool and he's doing fine? Well, we'll not have any of that around here.Our production launch will have many interim milestones, thank you very much!
I can keep going, but you see what I mean? I say read Ship It, and see how things work out. You might find the second time much easier. Unless of course, you are bent on doing everything right this time around so we have that perfect child :)

 The killer combination: A team made of some people who've never built anything and some that have built exactly one thing before and are dying to fix that in the successor!

Note: I've found that there are levels of noobie parenthood. People who are completely sane and rational at one level will make an exception and become noobs for that pet/key/most important project which apparently transcends normal levels.

No comments: